Wednesday, September 01, 2004

CAT scan followup

The whole thing took about 10 minutes. Including paperwork. The moral of the story is: if at all possible, schedule your hospital visit for a Saturday morning because nobody else wants to be there. I didn't see a single other patient the whole time I was there (which, given the previous paragraph maybe isn't all that remarkable). I actually sort of enjoyed the experience. I didn't have to wait at all. The paperwork consisted of signing a single piece of paper. The CAT scan tech was cool; she punched up the scans on the computer and gave me a tour, pointing out features and problems. It was like a very short field trip. The bad part is that my sinuses are all manner of fucked up. And yet I find this vindicating. Allergies seem to be a kind of medical brick wall. "Oh, you have allergies" my doctors told me. "There's not much to be done about that." No one (except myself) even wanted to figure out what it was that I was allergic to. "Your knowing won't really make much of a difference." So this seems bad enough that they can't just totally ignore it. It's ridiculous that in order to get better I have to get bad enough to warrant real attention. Is this just a guise of the squeaky wheel getting the oil or does it illustrate some deeper problem with the state of medicine? Who knows. I just want to be able to breathe again.

No comments: