Saturday, October 15, 2005

public speaking == bad

I'm delivering a talk next week on "Object Caching for High-Performance Web Sites" at the Zend/PHP Conference & Expo. As d-day approaches I grow ever more incredulous that I actually volunteered for this torture: public speaking is not my cup of tea. Worse than that (or so it seems now) is the prep work. Then again the prep work isn't really necessary; it just makes me a tiny bit less likely to make a total idiot of myself in front of a couple hundred peers.

Actually, I resolved to get myself into this mess several months ago while attending a similar conference. The presenters were smart and they knew their stuff but the presentations themselves were about as interesting as doing laundry. I vainly figured I could do better. I suppose this is my punishment.

No comments: